Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Get Moving Again

It's everything in me to do such small tasks like going for a walk or swim. I feel like I have an able body but the fatigue is like a bungee cord that I am attached to. If I get a certain distance away from it, it jerks me back to the starting point. So, I've chosen to take a different approach and maybe the fatigue can just be more of a strengthening tool then a bungee cord throwing me around when I resist it.

My trainer used to do the resistance training like the picture below with me to help my running speed. If I went out too fast and she was strong I would be jerked back and fall on my a$$. If I went out slow and felt the small tug from behind before I leaned into the resistance and sprinted out with full constant force you could really benefit from it.












Resistance Training Demo

My Bungee cord is now simply a resistance training tool. I have to slowly and steadily go forward with my movement/activities and try and feel for that resistance before I lean into it and take off.

I saw a Physical Therapist today with a goal of getting back into my regular activities. She has set up some very basic, very boring sets to work on my little muscles or core muscles. It's her opinion that because I have been down for so long my little muscles aren't doing their job which is making my larger muscles work harder and over compensate for their lack of strength. She things that there is a possibility that if I strengthen my smaller muscles my body will work much more efficiently and effectively, which could help me with my fatigue crashing moments that I have after I try and exercise.

All athletes know that we're supposed to feel a little tired after exercise but, having to take a 5 hour nap at 10am after a light swim in the AM is not normal fatigue. We should feel tired but energized. We're good with our mind games and we know our bodies well enough to know when it's too much or too little. With this information I am going to use it to figure out that sweet point of my "resistant band."

1 hour light swim is too much, but 1 mile walk isn't. (I haven't gotten on my bike just yet!) Here is my plan/goals which will morph depending on finding that sweet spot.

Light swim - 3laps rest and repeat for 1/2 hour - every other day
Walk - 1 mile at 3:00 Mon-Fri
Strength Training - homework from Physical Therapist daily
Work -
yes I consider this movement at this time because it exhausts me - Mon-Thur

Other than those things, going out or mingling is not on my list of things to do at the moment. Once I am stronger physically I think that hanging out with friends will come easier.

Everyone, please cross your fingers for me as I attempt this new mentality and schedule. The first couple of weeks are going to be challenging. It's really hard to mess with my set in stone schedule when what I am doing works well the way it is.

Oh to the days where I did everything and anything that came across my plate!

3 comments:

  1. good luck in your plan. Like training for a race, you need to have a plan to reach that goal. Putting an actual plan on paper makes it real. Good luck, and keep us informed, and ..as always...if you need help and just want to vent..email me

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There! Great job on trying to exercise. During the course it took me to read your post, I think I yawned about 30 times. I went swimming last week and was seeing double. I also vaccuumed over the weekend and needed a nap from that too. I give you MAJOR kudos for meeting with a trainer and working up slowly. Excellent Job! You're an inspiration! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your plan works out. Sounds sensible to and you have the right mental approach. Good luck!

    /CT

    ReplyDelete

Ever Changing Daily Goals

  • Run a 5K!!!!

Lyme borreliosis

Lyme borreliosis
Structure Of Bacteria That Causes Lyme Disease Detailed In 3D

Followers