Thursday, January 14, 2010

Food Food Food!!!!

I LOVE food. Back when I was actively participating in Tri's some people used to ask me why I did them and I used to joke that it was so that I could eat whatever I wanted to.

I was one of the lucky kids who's family actually "made" their food. Dinner was always a big thing at the end of the day and making it was just as big a thing. To top it off my mother was a midwife (not the crazy kind but the educated kind, just to clear that up!) and part of being a good midwife is nutrition. I was home schooled when I was in 8th grade and my mom used to take me to collage lectures on nutrition and other medical odds and ends. I'm lucky that I was exposed to these things early on in my life because when it comes to cooking and understanding my food I consider myself to be experienced. I'm not a nutritionist by all means... but I have a very good understanding of food unlike a lot of my peers.

My new allergies as well as my new medication (with a bad side-affect of metal taste, nauseousness, and vomiting) has increased my awareness that if I get to eat, it better be something good cause I only get to put so much down. It's been extremely challenging.

One night, rolled up in bed wanting to just die from the unusual feeling exhaustion/ nauseousness, I pulled myself out of bed and painfully wondered into the kitchen desperate for something to ease my stomach pain and take the awful taste out of my mouth. First thing I saw was a lime which I, shaking, split into pieces and stuffed into my mouth... big mistake. The acidic level of the lime kinda exacerbated the metal taste. So the next thing in my mind to help was ginger. Something my asian guy always has in the fridge.

You can imagine what placing a raw piece of ginger into my mouth did... it burned badly but took my mind off everything else and for the moment that I could stand it it was well worth the pain. I tried dipping it in sugar and sucking on it but that didn't really help dissipate the burning pain very much.

After that desperate night I searched for other options. Here is some things I found:

Ginger

Ginger Nutrition Facts
  • Ginger is a GREAT food to fend off nauseousness and even curb the metallic taste in the mouth. At the moment it's the only thing that works for me.
  • You can eat too much Ginger. From what I found you should only eat 1g dried ginger or two cups of tea a day.
Here are some different forms of ginger:

1. Ginger Tea
  • I found a good forum that has some ginger tea recipes that are really good for you here. It's really easy to make!
2. Pickled sushi ginger
  • There is less of the burn feeling in the mouth. I like the pink kind that you can get from an Asian Market is more sweet and easy to pop in mouth at desperate moments. It's by far my most favorite option.
3. Crystallized ginger
  • Normally covered in sugar and therefore not as good for you. I also find that it's just like biting into a fresh bit of ginger with a strong bite to it. Not my favorite option but some people like it.

Cabbage:

  • Surprisingly is full of a lot of benefits that I was unaware of. You can look up some of the info on the same website for the ginger above at Health 24.
  • Did you know that it has more pro biotic benefits then yogurt? For someone who is allergic to the most common pro biotic supplements including yogurt I was surprised to find this bit of information. You can eat too much of this just like ginger however.
  • To keep the "potency of nutrients" it can't be cooked for too long. It's an easy thing to cook and eat with rice. I just boil a thin layer of water in a covered pan, place strips of cabbage inside and add a little butter, salt and pepper (sometimes some lemon chicken seasoning can be really good!) and cook covered for 5 min or until the leaf's just start to change in firmness. Ymm, so good! It has really started to ease my stomach issues in the long hall.

Fresh veggies are just plain good for you. I could continue going on about what I have researched and I might start adding recipes that have helped here. There are things out there to help curb the challenges of taking mass amounts of meds. The options are endless and a lot of fun to discover.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Ambor! I love food too. I struggle every day with limiting myself of yummy foods. I also find it's very exhausting to do all the preparation of healthy eating. Don't get me wrong, I only have healthy food in my house, no sugar, processed foods, dairy, white flour, etc...but even to make a good salad is time consuming. I spend a lot of time looking up recipes and new ideas. Thanks for the additional nutritional info :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much blog admin for this great opportunity to show my gratitude to Dr Itua herbal center who cure my lyme disease completely within 3 three weeks of usage, I was first nervous about the whole stuff until I finally drank his herbal medicine then get tested and see that he real herbal doctor with great herbs knowledge.
    Dr Itua herbal medicine cures all sorts of illness and disease such as hiv,herpes,cancer,hepatitis,diabetes,lyme and other bacteria infections as well.
    You can contact dr Itua on email; drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or visit his website for more information.
    Dr Itua did not know that I'm doing this but I think the only way for me to show my gratitude is to heal the world with his herbal knowledge through his goodness.

    Thank you once again blog admin.

    ReplyDelete

Ever Changing Daily Goals

  • Run a 5K!!!!

Lyme borreliosis

Lyme borreliosis
Structure Of Bacteria That Causes Lyme Disease Detailed In 3D

Followers